Golden Monkey trekking In Rwanda.
Golden monkeys are unique primates found in the massif of Volcanoes national park shared among Uganda, Rwanda and Congo. These beautiful mammals live harmoniously with other primates like gorillas. Golden monkey trekking involves walking and hiking into the forest to trek the golden monkeys and once found, they fascinate the travelers with their playful character. Besides, the golden monkeys are famous of their distinctive and special characters that other monkey species do not possess.
Trekking golden monkeys in Rwanda starts with a precise briefing about the safety precautions and expectations at Kinigi, the park headquarters. It takes about 2-3 hours with 1 hour to observe them in their natural habitat. Do not worry of how fit u should be because trekking these creatures is simple as they leave in the lowlands.
In Rwanda, golden monkey trekking is divided into two troops with the largest and most visited being Sabinyo. This troop has about 80 – 100 individuals and the other in Volcanoes has small number of individuals.
Facts about golden monkeys.
- Physically, the golden monkeys are named after their striking looks. They have orange and golden patches from the tails to their backs and cheeks and other patches on the legs and arms to give them a unique look.
- Their noses differ from those of other primates as they point upwards which makes them so unique.
- Female golden monkey species weigh less than the male species.
- These rare species do not like snacking hence feed on bamboo shoots, ripe fruits, leaves and some insects on the ground that are all found in the forest.
- They do practice polygamy among them where the male mates with all the females who are the initiators of the mating through enticing the male
- Their gestation period is 5 months and the infant is born with eyes widely open and fur on the body. The mother takes care of their younglings for 2 years.
- Later, they are given freedom to do as they wish by joining other groups, forming their own as go into the wild.
- Their life span is about 19 years with the males having 7 kilograms and females 4-5 kilograms.
- They have their nostrils pointing upwards. This is a unique character because no other primate has the same character.
- They are very playful and active in the forest and therefore this makes it very easy to find them once you come for trekking.
- They nest in the bamboos however much they feed on them.
Costs of golden monkey trekking.
Golden monkey trekking permit costs an individual 100 USD including park entrance fees and ranger guides fee. Foreign residents pay 65 USD, East Africans and foreign residents 80 USD and citizens of Rwanda pay 4000 RWF. Once you decide to have a trek, you are advised to pay at Rwanda Development board or book through a trusted tour operator to secure the permit for you. This activity does not require advance booking hence you can pay on the exact day of the trek.
Packing list for golden monkey trekking.
- Insect repellents, these help to protect the body from insects like Tsetse flies, mosquitoes which might cause illnesses.
- Steady boots that can withstand any weather conditions.
- Long sleeved shirts and trousers to also to protect the body against insects and thorny branches
- A waterproof raincoat to protect you from getting soaked by the rains when the weather changes.
- You can also come along with the walking stick for support when you commence the trek.
- A hat/ cap for protection against direct sunlight.
- A camera with durable batteries is a must have to take memorable photos of the rare primates.
- Simple snacks to solve hunger issues.
- Warm clothes and socking to provide warmth from the evening chills.
Best time for golden monkey trekking in Rwanda.
Regardless of the fact that golden monkey trekking can be done throughout the year, the best time to enjoy this fascinating activity is within the dry season with little rains. This season lies in the months of December- February and June – October. The wet season make the roads impassable and slippery due to too much rains which makes gorilla trekking difficult.
If you have the desire to track golden monkeys in Rwanda together with other primates, contact Chosen Expeditions and Tours and our team will eagerly assist you.